Saturday, November 19, 2005

Meg and Me

I was just over on Meg Cabot's website reading her blog. She was talking about (in a very nice, non-bragging way) how much money she has made from her writing, the Disney movies made off her books, and I noticed that her new cover doesn't just say "New York Times Best Selling Author." It says "#1 New York Times Best Selling Author."

Meg writes, YA. I write YA.
Meg writes adult romance. I write adult romance.

Meg is a superstar goddess.
I am at the bottom of the food chain.

But no worries. Meg's really old and has had lots of time to become a superstar.

OR NOT!

I was horried to read that Meg is only THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD!

THIRTY EIGHT!

Look at what she has accomplished, and she's only THIRTY-EIGHT.

Suddenly, I feel incredibly insignificant.

I am an ant . Meg Cabot is a giant.

And she's only THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD.

Wow. I have GOT to redo my goals chart.

3 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger Michelle Rowen said...

I know, Meg is my idol. She can write a first draft in two weeks. TWO FREAKING WEEKS.

I have four years to catch up to her. :-)

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUT IS SHE HAPPY?

Yeah, all right, she's probably delerious.

Stephanie, you are so dang funny! Remember that ant song--High Hopes? Well, there ya go--if you're an ant, then embrace it, baby, 'cause you're an ant on the move!

And, you know, there must be myriad reasons why it is better *not* to be outrageously successful at such a tender age.

Hmmm. I'm thinking...

Gimme a minute...

Hmmm. Ooh, got one! I bet her accountant gets really bad headaches when she walks through the door. *My* accountant, on the other hand, has a really good laugh. He loves to see me. Last March:

Wayne: "Ha ha ha. So you're still writing, Wendy? Ha ha ha. How long have you been doing this now?"

Me: "I've been published thirteen years, Wayne."

W: "Riiiight. Thirteen. And you're still doing it? Ha ha ha."

Me: "Yeah, well, you know, it's going to pick up soon. I'm, you know, I-I made the Walden's list and that means someone bought my book. And-and-and I did *way* better this year than last year, didn't I? Didn't I do better?"

W (glancing at my thoughtfully prepared worksheet, 'cause *I* have time for things like that): "Hey, yeah, you did do better this year. You almost broke five figures. Ha ha ha."

See? Meg Cabot makes her accountants sweat. We can leave ours laughing.

I rest my case.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie Rowe said...

OMG Wendy! You are too funny! Any time you want to guest blog on my blog, I'm turning over the keyboard to you! Seriously, say the word and I'll give you my password and it's all you!

And my accountant laughs at me all the time. He actually suggested last year that if I ever made money, i could put together a retirement plan to avoid taxes. At least that's what I think he was going to say. He was laughing too hard to finish.

Two weeks, eh? And they're good. And she's THIRTY EIGHT. It's your fault I'm depressed now, Michelle, because I used the link on YOUR blog to visit Meg's blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home