Thursday, November 17, 2005

Teen Girl Hobby Needed!

I need to come up with a hobby for my main character in my next teen book. I had thought of horses, but that was nixed by my editor. She suggested photography, but I'm not sure I'm inspired by that. So far, I've thought of opening her own ice cream store, glass blowing and playing a musical instrument, but I'm not sure any of those are the type of idea that will make a 13 year old girl lunge for my book and grab off the shelf because she is so desperate to read about it. Granted, the hobby is merely an means to tell the story, but I need something interesting... my mind is blank here. Any suggestions?

6 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the horse idea, too. Probably because it was my hobby, but it seems to be all over the place in YA. My oldest is fascinated with ice skating, knitting, crocheting, her keyboard and soccer. Have you watched The Secret Keeper? Excellent movie about a young, enterprising and sweet teen female. I even liked it. Rent it!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger hornblower said...

How about knitting or weaving? Fibre arts are really big among girls (and not just girls!) here on the West Coast

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Steph! Congrats!!! (I like to keep up with you on your blog :-D) I like the knitting idea--soooo big in adult fiction right now. (Check out Publisher's Marketplace.) I'm wondering...do you want your heroine's hobby to function as an obstacle or an aid to her big goals? Might make a difference in what you choose--ie, a popular hobby or one that is less mainstream.

Talk to you soon. Keep on bloggin'!!

Wendy

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Ballet? My neice who's thirteen loves dance, and cheerleading. My other neice loves soccer.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie Rowe said...

Wow! You guys are a wealth of ideas! I really like them...hmm...time for thinking cap.... I'll see which one my editor approves. You guys are the best!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

My daughter is 13 and after school she does tap dance three days a week. (she also does jazz, acting, and ballet) She loves it and they do little shows at the mall. They'll be doing competitive shows soon. Also, she plays basketball, listens to lots of music, covers her walls with pictures of her and her friends and sends lots of email, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home