Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Big Apple

Yesterday I spent the day in NYC meeting with my Warner editor and my HarperCollins editor, neither of whom I'd met before. What an unbelievably worthwhile trip. There is simply nothing that can compare to face-to-face contact with the folks in charge of championing your career and editing your work. I was able to ask questions that I probably wouldn't have had the courage to ask over the phone or email, and we engaged in some frank discussions about my career and opportunities at both houses for me. It was so inspiring and really charged me up to get home and get to work. Both editors are approachable and warm, but I was especially impressed with how smart and savvy they both are. I know I'm in good hands with them, and I feel very fortunate to have two such amazing people as my editors, and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to write for two such incredible publishers. I always hear authors who say how important it is to get to NY at least once a year to meet and greet, and now I'm on that band wagon myself. I don't care if you have to get yourself in a car and drive for three days and sleep in the backseat, but if you're published, find a way to meet your editor(s). It's invalubable. Do it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home