Friday, December 16, 2005

Set up Grindstone. Press Nose Against It. Repeatedly.

Today, I finally got the editoral direction from Harper Collins on the YA I'm writing for them. I'm really excited with how my editor tweaked my idea, and I think it's going to be a great story. Yay!!! The only problem? It's due January 15.

Yep, January 15.

As in, less than a month away.

As in, I have my two page outline and my editor's two page email and that's it. No other notes or idea on this story. I can't start writing today. Or even tomorrow. Or probably even Sunday. I need to spend those days working on the story and characters before I can even think about writing. Which gives me even fewer days to write.

As in, I'm going to be spending two weeks with relatives over the holidays, relatives who don't think it's too polite for me to be hiding at my computer when I'm supposed to be socializing, relatives who live on the other side of the country who I really want to hang out with because I never see them! I guess I won't have time to help clean up after dinner... ah, the choices we must make as dedicated writers!

Yep, it is SO time to set up that grindstone and get to work.

But, on the plus side, I turned in MUST LOVE DRAGONS to my agent for a read thru, so at least that's out of my hair for the moment. That was a HUGE relief!!!!!!!!! PHEW!

And now, off to brainstorm...

2 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you end up choosing for your YA's hobby?

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie Rowe said...

Well, I chose a web design class and my editor chose piano playing. I'll save the web design class for another book. I'm thinking that she's stuck taking piano lessons and a very cute, slightly bad boy guitar player keeps showing for his own lessons, or to pratice with his band... oh, yeah. Gotta love bad boys who, deep down inside, are actually good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home