Saturday, February 04, 2006

Sisterhood

Today I was fortunate to be asked to be a speaker at a Founder's Day celebration for the Delta Kappa Gamma group, which is an organization of educators. Mostly teachers, but also others who educate in some way. It was all women, and it was a wonderful meeting. There was so much support in the room and so much respect for the women who had originally founded this organization 77 years ago. It was so cool to be in the presence of so much support and bonding. It made me realize how lucky I am to be part of the romance writing industry. Romance writers are supportive like this group of educators are. They support newcomers, they are all so sharing of their experiences and their ideas and their tricks of the trade. It's an amazing gift to be around people who care about you and those around you. I think sometimes we spend so much time rushing around and working on whatever project we've got going on that we forget to notice that there is some very cool stuff going on around us. I would not be where I am today were it not for all those authors, published and unpublished, who reached out to me and shared some of who they are, including their friendship and their encouragement. So, here's a thanks to all of you! The list is so long I couldn't begin to start listing names, but I can only hope that I give back a fraction of what I have gained from this amazing industry I'm so lucky to be a part of.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger TJ Brown said...

I have noticed this about romance writers as well. Maybe it's that HEA thing that makes them especially upbeat. But they are human. And mostly women. Have you ever been on the receiving end of jealousy? When people you thought would be supportive just aren't after you got an agent or sold a new book?
Teri

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie Rowe said...

You know, I did have one experience where someone I considered a very good friend made a really hateful comment to me that totally shocked me. I think she felt we were such good friends that she could tell me how she felt about my recent sales, but it really hurt to realize she could feel that way about me. Quite eye-opening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home