Wednesday, February 01, 2006

An Agent's View: RWA National Conference & the Secret Agent Cartel

Agent Michelle Grajkowski of Three Seas Literary Agency talks about the RWA National Conference & the Secret Agent Cartel

Yay! It's that time of the year again - it's time to prep for Nationals. There's nothing cooler than to see 2000 romance writers running around a convention center talking, sharing ideas, connecting for the first time...

The excitement in the air is contagious, and I always leave feeling refreshed and ready to tackle my in-box. AFTER a good day of rest, that is!

You see, an agent's life at Nationals is pretty nutty. I normally have about 25 clients there, and I like to meet with each one individually. Then, I also like to meet with my clients and their editors to connect and to career plan. Finally, I try to hang out with the other agents and editors who attend. Add to that RWA sponsored appointments, workshops that I give and all the excellent parties to partake in, and I'm pretty wiped after the five days!
Not that I'm complaining in the least. I wouldn't trade my schedule for anything!! I have an amazing group of clients, and I love spending time with each and every one of them.

This year, I'm really excited to be a part of two workshops. The first with our own Stephanie Rowe!

The other? I'm coming OUT!

I've been a part of a "secret" agent cartel - a group of amazing romance agents - for the past few years. Every year at Nationals we have a reunion of sorts, and we spend the rest of the year connecting online. This year, our group is coming out. We will no longer be "secret!" Instead, we will be giving a two-hour panel discussion on the agent/author relationship. Everything from getting an agent to firing an agent will be touched on. I feel blessed to be a part of the group - the knowledge base is amazing - and am so happy that we are going to share our insights with the members of RWA.

And, of course, I'm going to be biting my nails over the next month in anticipation of the Golden Heart and RITA announcements! I love the awards ceremony and can't wait to see who the finalists will be.

All the months of prepping, scheduling and organizing for the five day event is completely worth it. I'm already counting the days until July!!

See you all soon!!
Michelle

2 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Oh, cool! We get to meet the cartel. :)

Congrats on the workshop with Steph.

Trish

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

Oooh, a secret agent cartel. How great is that?! Wouldn't we all like to be a fly on the wall at one of their meetings...I know I would! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home