Tuesday, November 29, 2005

How Salad Dressing is like a Romance Novel

I was in the grocery store today and I saw a salad dressing that the flavor was called "Goddess" and it had a really cool drawing of a woman on the label. I couldn't even tell what kind of dressing it was, but how could I turn down a salad dressing called Goddess? I couldn't. I bought it, and I knew it was destined for me. I would use the Goddess salad dressing every day for the rest of this book, and its power would help me prevail. I had found my muse!

Unfortunately, it was horrible.

I still can't get the taste out of my mouth. Blech.

Great marketing, though.

Just shows you what great packaging will do for sales.

Salad dressing: Great name, great label, I bought it even though I couldn't tell anything about the contents. Although it sucked and I won't buy it again, if it had been great, I would have been hooked for life. They got me to try it, and that's the first step.

Romance novel: Great title, great cover, great back cover copy, and you've got a sale. If your book sucks, they'll never trust your name again. If you suck them in, you've got a fan for life.

Hereth endeth the lesson on the similarities between salad dressing and romance novels.

3 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

LOL on the sucky salad dressing. But great comparison with novels.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie Rowe said...

Goddesses ARE asparagus.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Jennie Lucas said...

Hahaha! I love this. So pithy! (And the "hereth endeth" part too.)

Jenna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home