Wednesday, January 18, 2006

An Agent's View: Writer's Block

Agent Michelle Grajkowski of Three Seas Literary Agency talks about Writer's Block.

Writer's Block!

Today has been eye-opening for me. As I stared at the black flashing line on a stark white computer screen, I finally understood the pain and agony of writer's block.

What to write? What do the readers want to know? How can I be witty yet smart, interesting yet informative? What words can I put down that will inspire?

Well, my friends, your guess is as good as mine!!! So, here we go - I'm going to channel.

It's a technique that I've heard many writers do. They write what comes to them. They do not edit. They just put down on the screen whatever pops up in their minds without ever hitting the backspace (unless they get sloppy fingers like me to fix their spelling!)

Or, maybe I should pull out my story board. I can plot out all pearls of wisdom.

Then again, maybe I should pull out a blank sheet of loose leaf paper and jot down anything that comes to my mind and brainstorm, all the time reminding myself there is no such thing as a dumb thought.

On the other hand, I'm feeling kind of gabby - maybe I'll pick up the phone and call a friend to see if we can brainstorm some ideas out loud.

Hmmmm... on second thought, maybe I'll surf the web for a couple of hours and research some other blogs. There have to be some sights out there that I can gain some insight from.

I guess the point is, there are many ways to overcome writer's block. Unearthing what works best for you is the key to success. For me, rambling thoughts seem to work best... go figure!

But, if you all are interested in helping me out with some ideas for next week, I'd be eternally grateful!! So, please ask away - we can e-storm together! :)

Have a great week!
Michelle

2 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, I love your posts--so warm and personable.

I've got a question...no, two:

1.)In today's category market (proliferating lines, shrinking sales), do you think category can aid and abet a single title career? If so, how?

2.)What is the value of accepting single title contracts with low (ie, four- or five-figure) advances?

Thanks, and have a great week!

Wendy

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Kara said...

Thanks so much for the questions, Wendy!! No more writer's block for me!! :)

I'll tackle these issues on Wednesday.

Have a super weekend!!!
Michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home