Monday, September 26, 2005

A Day in the Life: YAHOO!

I am SO fired up right now! I have been working on this new fantasy proposal for ages. I've had the world fleshed out for a couple months, but I could not get the chapters right. I kept starting and then realizing I wasn't hitting it the way I wanted. I must have written that first scene twenty different times. I was glad I kept starting over, becuase the book wasn't right and I could see that, but for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get it right. I mean, it was fine, but it wasn't jumping off the page the way it should. I tried so many different scenes. I revamped the characters. You name it, I did it.

Then finally, last week, I sent my agent the most recent version that I felt wasn't right. She read it, we brainstormed, and at the end, she said something that totally turned a light on in my head.

I spent a day reworking my main CH a bit, then starting writing again. And it was right. I was so psyched! And now, it is finished! I am so pleased with the chapters and I feel like I did a great job with the world description and synopsis, both showing the complexity of the story and conveying the tone as well. After struggling for so long, to finally succeed, is the best feeling! I feel was my biggest writing victory to date, and I'm so happy!

Oh, sure, my agent might have revisions for me and I'm sure I'll continue to tighten it up, and who knows what the editor response will be, but overall, I finally nailed it the way I wanted to, and that is the best feeling ever! A year or two ago, I wouldn't even have been able to see that it wasn't working. I would have whipped off that first or second version and called it a day. But I've improved enough that I could see what was wrong, and I didn't give up. Yay! I'm so excited!

Now it is time to go celebrate by ironing curtains. Ah, the glamorous life of an author.

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

oops, you've been spammed again.

Ironing curtains? Gah, that is SO not going to happen here.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Stephanie Rowe said...

But now that my friend Trish showed me how to delete spammers, their existence is short-lived on my blog!

And don't even get me started on the curtain ironing. Suffice it to say, it's not an optional activity.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

HURRAH!!!

And I don't even have curtains to iron, but who knew?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home