Monday, September 19, 2005

Tips for Writers: Look Beneath the Surface

There's this writer. I think she's an amazing talent. She has sold book after book after book. To my knowledge, she's never had a book rejected. Each book published does better than the last. How come it's so easy for her? Why can't I have her success?

These thoughts used to go through my mind every time I thought of this author. Yes, I bought all her books, but deep down inside of me, I got this knot everything I saw her name anywhere. Yep, you got it, the knot was jealousy augmented with a healthy dose of insecurity. Not only was she better than I was in all ways, but she hadn't had to suffer at all. This author had it all, and no matter how hard I tried, I was never going to catch up to her. Comparing my career and talents to hers was unhealthy, and frankly, it stifled me creatively because I was so busy being cranky and feeling like a loser in comparison to her.

Then one day I found out something about this author's personal life. Something awful. Something I would never, ever, ever want to happen to me. From then on, everything changed. Every sale, every list, every success this author had? I thought, "Have at it, girlfriend. I'll take my struggles over yours any day."

Lesson learned.

Don't waste time being jealous of people. They might seem like they have it all, but I'll bet if you look closely enough, they're dealing with something that you wouldn't want even if it came with all the success in the world.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger MJFredrick said...

This happened to me, too, with two different authors I know. I would never want the other things they have to deal with in their lives, just to have their success.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home