Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Smiles at Strangers

Today, I was at a stoplight on the way to my tennis match, and I decided to check out the drivers of the cars around me. Yeah, I'm nosy. So what? I'm a writer. It's what I do. Anyhoodles, when I was staring at the woman in the next car, she turned and looked at me. Normally, when I get busted for gawking, I immediately wave at a stranger on the sidewalk or just jerk my gaze away guiltily. For some reason those of us with small brains can't fathom (yeah, that's me with the pea brain), instead of trying to fake it and pretend I hadn't been staring rudely, I smiled at her. I have no idea why, but I did. And after a minute, she smiled back. And we sat there in our cars for a few moments, smiling at each other. It was a very cool moment. Then it got a little weird, and it was like, okay, shouldn't I look away now or start a conversation or something, but that's not the point. The point was that when she smiled back at me, I felt good and I thought about it the entire way to tennis. Won my tennis match too. I decided that maybe I needed to start smiling at strangers more. Of course, I'm writing a serial killer book right now, so I did think about the fact that if I smiled at the wrong person, they might decide I'd look good in their serial killer trophy case and then I'd be in serious trouble... Yeah, anyway. At the time, it seemed like a good idea...

Off to watch the Red Sox. Think they can actually pull out this World Series? That would be the coolest thing ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home