Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ow.

Sometimes writing a book is like the best orgasm in the world. Just one long high and when it's over, you sit back and let your body quiver with happy exhaustion.

Other times, writing a book is like taking a cement block and slamming it into your head. Repeatedly. All day. All night. While being forced to watch your worst enemy steal the guy of your dreams right before he's about to announce his undying love for you. While your house burns down the day after you realize you forgot to pay your insurance bill. And, on top of it all, it's the day for new ID pictures to be taken at work, and you're having a bad hair day from hell. Literally. And then it starts all over again.

Guess which kind of book I'm writing right now?

That's right. It's a bad-hair-cement-block kind of book.

To give you an idea of how it's going, I'm on my ninth iteration in three weeks. By "iteration" I mean, "Write fifty pages, then delete all of them, spend two days trying to figure out what's wrong, decide I got it, write sixty new pages, then delete all of them, spend two days brainstorming... etc." By the time this 400 page book is done, it's going to actually be about 1000 pages. JK Rowlings has nothing on me. Yeah. Go, Stephanie. Rah. Rah.

But I think it I finally got it right. I'm on page 5. I'll let you know. Oh, and it's due in six weeks. That makes it even more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home